Monday, April 25, 2011

layout & design packaging final

Our final for Layout & Design is to create a packaging set. I chose to base my packaging design on Grounds Coffee Shop and Bakery, which I did a newspaper advertisement for in Digital File Preparation last semester. I wanted to expand on the idea of Grounds Coffee Shop and Bakery, which is a fictional company I created for the purpose of my newspaper advertisement.
For this assignment, we will be printing on brown craft paper, so it was important to keep the colors to a minimum, keeping in mind that it is difficult to print lighter colors on brown paper and impossible to print white. I chose to keep my design very simple, using exclusively black ink, because the brown color will speak for itself in relation to giving the packaging a coffee shop/bakery feel.
The three products I chose to make packages for were a coffee cup sleeve, a baked goods travel box, and a chewing gum box.
The coffee cup sleeve and baked goods box were developed using templates I found online. The chewing gum box template was made by opening up and measuring an Orbit chewing gum package. I transferred my collected measurements to an Illustrator file, where I was able to duplicate the folds and cuts of the package.
This project has not yet been printed, but below you will find my roughs and digital file screenshots. A post will follow included photos of finished, printed, folded products.


Please excuse my iPod touch low-res photos.

photo
This is the Orbit gum package I opened up and traced, then measured, to find correct layout, folds, and cuts for my Grounds Coffee Shop and Bakery remake.

photopackages
These are roughs for the coffee sleeve and gum package.

photobox
Rough for bakery travel box.

Picture 1
In the process of working on the coffee sleeve; placing the logo.

Picture 1
Screenshot of coffee sleeve; keep in mind that the template lines won't print. These include the outline of the product and the dashed lines within the product.

Picture 3
Screenshot of gum package; keep in mind that the template outlines won't print.

Picture 5
Screenshot of the bakery goodie box. Keep in mind that the orange background won't print (this background helped to distinguish between different panels of the box).

Related Posts
Strum & Crumb

No comments:

Post a Comment